Is an Outdoor Office Worth It?
With the rise of remote work and flexible schedules, many people are considering creating an outdoor office space in their backyard. But is it worth it? Before you dive headfirst into creating an outdoor office, there are a few things to consider. Let’s look through some basic considerations, then the pros and cons of shifting your office outside.
The first thing to consider is the climate in your area. If you live in a place with extreme temperatures, rain, or frost, you may need help to work outside year-round. Budget is another consideration. Creating an outdoor office can be expensive, especially starting from scratch. Consider your budget carefully and ensure you’re willing to invest the time and money to create a functional and comfortable space. Finally, many people tend to underestimate noise as a factor. Depending on your location, noise from traffic, neighbours, or even wildlife could disrupt your work. Make sure you choose a relatively quiet spot or invest in some noise-canceling headphones.
Now that we’ve reviewed the basic considerations let’s look at some pros and cons of setting up an outdoor office. Again, there are plenty of factors to consider here.
Pros of a garden or backyard office
- Improved health and well-being. Spending time in nature has proven to impact mental and physical health positively. Having an outdoor office can help you feel more energised, refreshed, and focused on your work. It can also help reduce stress levels and improve overall happiness. Getting lots of natural light throughout the day can aid with circadian rhythms and help you sleep more deeply and regularly.
- Increased productivity. Having an outdoor office can be a great way to break up the monotony of being indoors all day. It can help you get inspired and motivated to work, increasing your productivity and creativity.
- Reduced costs. If you’re a freelancer or remote working, renting office space or coworking space, working from home can be a great way to save money. By setting up an outdoor office, you can save even more money but not paying for additional utilities and maintenance costs associated with indoor office space.
Cons of outdoor offices
- Distractions. Being outside can come with distractions, such as noise from neighbours, pets, or passing traffic. You might even get distracted by gardening work that needs doing! This can make it difficult to concentrate on work and may affect your productivity.
- Security. It’s essential to ensure that your outdoor office is secure, with appropriate locks and security systems. Outdoor offices can be more vulnerable to theft and vandalism, especially if they’re located in isolated areas.
- Weather conditions. As mentioned earlier, weather conditions can be unpredictable in Melbourne, and working outside during extreme weather conditions can be uncomfortable or even dangerous. It’s important to have a backup plan in place in case of bad weather.
Get in touch
Commute getting you down? Thinking about remodelling your backyard or outdoor area? Great Spaces can help you customise your outdoor space according to your plans and requirements. We take your ideas and work with you to create the space of your dreams